Disconnector, Death, Disco and the pursuit of pleasure.
a film by Faiyaz Jafri.
Written, directed, animated, composed, edited and produced by Faiyaz Jafri.
November 2014, Running time: 6:30
Bored lovers crash a disco simulator while experiencing true pleasure.
The idea behind Disconnector
Disconnector is an extrapolation of contemporary digital communication of kawaiesque teenage lovers into the physical part of a relationship. It is inspired by couples in Hong Kong that don’t seem to communicate with one another verbally and face to face, but through little screens, with the simplified vocabulary of SMS acronyms. The 70ies Disco soundtrack was chosen to contrast the frigid technology-aided second decade of the 21st century and to emphasize the power of real human physical contact.
• Queens World Film Festival, Astoria, USA (03/21/2015) – Nominated for Best Animation
• Los Angeles International Underground Film Festival, Santa Monica, USA (06/20/2015) – Winner Best Animation
• SpotLight Short Film Awards, Atlanta, USA (11/2015) – Bronze Award
• Mexico International Film Festival, (May 2016, Mexico) – 2016 Golden Palm Award Animation Competition
• Athens Animfest, Athens, Greece (03/26/2015)
• Pictoplamsa, Berlin, Germany (April 2015)
• Cannes Short Film Corner, France (May 2015)
• New Filmmakers New York, USA (05/13/2015)
• Los Angeles New Wave IFF, Los Angeles, USA (05/24/2015)
• Vienna Independent Shorts, Austria (05/30/2015)
• Los Angeles International Underground Film Festival, Los Angeles, USA (June 2015)
•12th Film Festival Alicante, Spain (06/05/2015)
• MAshRome Film Fest, Rome, Italy (07/03/2015)
• Fantasia, Montreal, Canada (July 2015)
• Girona Film Festival, Italy (October 2015)
• Shorts Mexico, Mexico City, Mexico (September 2015)
• Animaldiçoados, Rio de Janeiro & Sao Paolo, Brasil (September 2015)
• B Movie Underground & Trash Film Festival, Breda, The Netherlands (September 2015)
• Klik! Amsterdam Animation Film Festival, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (October 2015)
• CutOut Fest, Querétaro, Mexico (November 2015)
• Broken Knuckle Film Fest, New York, USA (Nov 2015)
• BLOW-UP · Chicago International Arthouse FILM FEST, Chicago, USA (December 2015)
• Fantastic Planet Film Fest, Sydney, Australia (12/06/2015)
• Glasgow Short Film Fest, Glasgow, UK (February 2016)
• Anim8Fest International Animation Film Festival, Los Angeles, USA (March 2016)
• Lisbon International Film Festival, Lisbon, Portugal (March 2016)
• Stockholm Animation and Experimental Film Festival, Stockholm, Sweden (April 24, 2016)
• Manhattan Independent Film Festival, New York, USA (Oct 7 – 8, 2016)
• Cairo Video Festival, Cairo, Egypt (Feb 5 – 28, 2017)
• FILE 2017, São Paulo, Brazil (July 17 – Sept 3, 2017)